Job Exchange > Listings > Job - Premium
Instructor or Substitute Teacher (Life Skills Experience)
The Menta Group
Duties: Special Education Services, a member of The Menta Group, is currently filling positions at a special education school located in Waukegan, Illinois. Lakeshore Academy is a school with a kindergarten through 12th grade therapeutic educational services program for At-Risk and Behavior-Emotional-Developmentally disabled children living in and around the surrounding area in this eastern Lake County, northern Illinois area. Small class size, intensive clinical services, and a competently trained staff of educators combine to make this a positive and dynamic place to learn. All children have a right to quality education services, to attend a program that maintains a no refusal, no suspension, no expulsion policy, and social-emotional learning under a continuum of learning and behavioral supports. Classroom teaching positions are open in elementary, middle, and high school classrooms.
The curriculum is taught with an engaged learning methodology that nurtures academic, behavioral, and social-emotional growth. Our educational model encourages the development of academic and social-emotional skills in a positive and well-structured learning environment, with a focus on preparation for post-secondary education, employment, and citizenship. Programming is designed for students with significant cognitive, behavior, and learning difficulties. The curriculum is individualized to meet each student's special needs with an emphasis on four major community living domains: self-management/home living, vocational, recreation/leisure, and general community functioning. The curriculum is taught both in school and out in the community. It includes functional academics and embedded training in social-emotional skills, communication, and motor skills.
Lakeshore Academy is approved as a nonpublic special education program (under Section14-7.02 of the Illinois School Code) for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. This is a fulltime position offering access to medical, dental, vision plans, 403(b), sick pay, holiday pay, and personal/vacation days. The salary range is comparable for the position and area, depending upon certification and qualifications.
- Experience and/or certification in working with Life Skills programming considered a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Emphasis on work skills as a basis for a career path curriculum
- Flexible in which subject areas that they can work
- Student focused approach while presenting general areas of required subject material
- Willingness to be trained in working with Behavioral/Emotional Disordered students
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast paced environment
- Bi-lingual applicants are encouraged to apply
- State Teaching Certification in Specialty/Content Area
- State Teaching Certificate Type 39 for Substitute Teacher
- College degree at Bachelor Level
- Ability to teach in a self-contained classroom for a full teaching day with youth having behavioral, emotional, and high risk behaviors is important
- You must be 23 years of age with a valid driver license
- Employment is contingent upon a background check, approved driving record, employment physical and drug screen
- Must have a valid driver's license
Apply at http://www.thementagroup.org/careers/apply or contact below. EOE
Closing Date: 10/07/2011
For further information, contact:
Lake Shore Academy
621 Belvidere Rd.
Waukegan, IL 60085
Phone: (847) 599-1680
Fax: (847) 599-2475